Thursday, July 13, 2006

A shower, a birthday, a new house and a gaggle of grandparents!

Well, Sophie official reached the ripe old age of two weeks today! The public health nurse came by for a home visit, and did all the things she needed to so as to assess Sophia's health. She manipulated her hips, head, legs, back, spine etc. Then came the most anticipated part of the visit: the weigh in. Now, when Sophia was born she weighed 6 pounds 13 ounces (or 3.13 Kg). By the time she left the hospital her weight had dropped to 2.95 kgs. As of this afternoon, our little daughter weights 3.4 Kgs or 7 pounds 8 ounces. So, since coming home she has gained almost a pound. This just shows that our little one is definitely eating good! Just call me "Bessie"!

We had another eventful week. We don't do anything quietly or simply around here. David's parents, Diane and Arthur, arrived and started their week long adoration of their granddaughter. Diane was shingle free (no more itchy, weepy red spots to worry about) so she was able to fully enjoy spending time with Sophia. All was good, as the grandparents all get along just fine and were able to aptly entertain each other while David and I took care of the babe.

Sunday was one of the most eventful days for the female folk of the household. The ladies of St. James United had organized a lovely baby shower for Sophia. Seeing that she has yet to master the eye-hand coordination needed to open the gifts, I had the fun of oohing and awing over all the gifts while my little girl lazed around in the arms of more adoring fans. It was a nice afternoon, with about thirty women in attendance, and both of the grandmothers there to offer support and needed help. After about 45 minutes or more of opening gifts --much pink clothing, plus quilts, blankets, a bank, crochet goodies, diapers and much more -- there was the obligatory sharing of coffee, tea and really, really, really good deserts and conversation. I can't thank the women enough for their generosity and support. Having the shower here in Wolseley was quite a treat and I can tell that everyone is enjoying having Sophia around (even when she is crying!).

Monday was my birthday. I turned 29 and I think I will stick with that age for a little while. I am not sure I am ready for thirty. But this blog is not about my age issues but is about that child o'mine. It is very odd celebrating a birthday when you have a two week old child. Now, my family did a good job of celebrating. There were some gifts, an ice cream cake, and a promised shopping spree in two different places. But somehow the birthday took a back seat in importance to the baby. AND to make things even more complicated (which we like to do around here) we took possession of our new house. So really, to have my birthday take a back seat really isn't surprising. Anyway, I was glad to have had family around to help mark the day and was very happy to hear from my friends from away (either on the phone or via email). It helped to make the day that much more special.

So, yeah, we took possession of the house. While the grandparents and David ran around coordinating the service workers, the work that needed to be done on the house, the numerous Rona trips and the painting, I sat around watching Sophia and offering food to her when deemed necessary. I have to admit that house stress and post pregnancy hormones do not mix well. It does not produce an emotionally stable Tricia. After a few tears, I was able to put on my game face again and get on with getting on. The house is wonderful and I am very much looking forward to living there, especially after making it our own. David did and continues to do a fabulous job of coordinating the service folk, making sure that they are where they need to be at the right time. I thank him from the bottom of my heart, because without his energy and organization, nothing would have gotten done or at least not as much. Right now, decision making is not a key ability for me.

The first flock of grandparents have returned to their home. Diane and Arthur have driven back to the cottage to take care of some very expensive grass (long story --not one meant for this blog). We will see them again in August when we take Sophia to the cottage for the very first time. The Western grandparents (my folks) are packing up their car and driving toward the coast come Saturday. They will be rid of us for just a few days and then we board a plane to Vancouver to do some visiting and to attend a wedding and another baby shower. The grandparents have been invaluable these past two weeks -doing dinners, laundry, cleaning etc. I thank them very much for all that they have done for David, Sophia and myself. We'll miss having them here.

It has been an exhausting week, but a good week. Life with Sophia is a gift and we are truly enjoying her. David is going to post some updated photos and write some more. So keep your eyes on the blog! Blessings and love to you all.

No comments: