Thursday, June 08, 2006

Questions people ask (Tricia)

Well, I have finally found out what the two most popular questions asked in the final month of pregnancy are: "You still pregnant?" and "So, do you have everything ready?". It is always interesting to get asked these questions, because they offer me the opportunity to answer differently each time. It is especially fun because the first question is answered quite easily by a quick glimpse at my still existing "bump". I am wondering if I should start concealing a basketball under there.

It's the second question that is most thought provoking. "Do you have everything ready?" Well, I am not sure. What do you mean by "everything"? Does any one truly know what having "everything ready" for a baby entails? Currently, I tell them we have the basics -crib, crib bedding, change table, 200 diapers (up to 15 pounds), wipes, bathtub, some clothes, bath stuff (shampoo etc, travel system (bassinet and stroller), a bath towel and a receiving blanket. That's all you really need right?

Right... Except that if you have ever walked through the baby section at any department store you know that there is much more to have in order to be truly ready. It is a bit of a racket. Weddings and Babies are expensive events. This is why the Shower is an important little celebration. Women get to gather to share stories of their own children's births and give gifts to the expecting mother. And these gifts tend to be the ones you haven't gotten around to buying or couldn't afford to buy. It's actually quite a wonderful phenomenon. We've all heard that it takes a village to raise a child, well that village also helps out with all the accessories that go with the child. I am very much looking forward to the shower that will be thrown for me when I go home in July. Not only do I get to celebrate and open gifts, I get to share the newest Gerhard with all my favorite people. It should be a good party!

So, David and I have set up a registry to help any of our friends and family that are looking for gift ideas or just want to see the kind of things that are out there. What did I say about Weddings and Babies? We are registered at Toys R Us (www.toysrus.ca). If you want to access it, type in my last name, my first name and the town (Wolseley) and it should get you there. I know that it might be in bad taste to tell you about it but heck, how else am I supposed to get the information out!

Anyway, as I watch the rain fall and take a little time to relax I get to spend a little time with my little one... Maybe doing a little dreaming and hoping for the future. Only time will tell what will happen for us. Let's hope it's an adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to show you I'm reading your blog. I can guarantee it will be an adventure! I cannot guarantee there will be no problems but I can guarantee that the adventure will be the most exciting and rewarding of your life.