Tuesday, September 08, 2009

First Day of School

Sophia is a preschooler! Today is her first day of school. I dropped her off about a half hour ago and I think I was more nervous than she was. She walked right in and started to play. Having a preschool open house helped a bit, since she had a chance to meet her teachers (Janice and Mme Gee) and learn about how the classroom was set up. The room is arranged with a few different "stations" for kids to do stuff - there are a few paint easels (Sophie's favorite), a toy area with train sets and a "rice table" (like a sandbox but with rice instead of sand to cut down on dust and allergies - brilliant) a story area where they will all sit and hear stories and songs and I expect most of the actual "learning" will happen, a computer, and some tables with colouring and other activities. There's a sink and lockers and lots of other stuff.

The preschool starts at 9:30, but they open the door at 9:15, after "O Canada" and school announcements. We got to the school just after 9:00, and "O Canada" was playing. A few other parents with preschoolers were also in the hallway, frozen, as the anthem played. Kind of cool to think that the ceremony is maintained, and the anthem was in french, of course, but what surprised me the most was that they were using (no lie) a country-western version of O Canada. I half hope that they use a different genre each day, but I more suspect that someone figured this is the definitive version. I suppose we are in the west, and I shouldn't really be surprised, but it didn't quite feel right to me. I am sure that by the time the kids are in grade 5, it will feel completely natural, but my initial reaction was definitely surprise.

So after "O Canada" we wandered down to the classroom and went in and, as I mentioned already, she was right in to it. She went straight to her locker and unloaded her backpack, and started to play with the other kids and with the toys and stuff. Some of the other kids were a bit overwhelmed, but most were happy to be there playing. It wasn't long till Sophia was into the painting (We'll be sure to post some of her more influential works here) and other activities. I hung around at the door to make sure she was OK, reminded her to listen to Mme Gee and the other parents, then headed out. Two and a half hours of no Sophia, it's a little strange, no doubt. I'll post her reaction to the first day when I pick her up later today.

We got her newsletter today as well, with a list of the vocabulary she will be learning this month:

  • Bonjour
  • Au revoir
  • Dommage
  • Comment ca va?
  • Bien
  • Mal
  • S'il vous plait
  • Merci
  • Regarder
  • Ecouter
  • Aller
  • Arreter
  • Gomme d'efface
  • Salle de classe
  • Crayon
  • Ciseaux
  • Colle
  • Papier



Getting ready to go


First day of preschool, age 3.


I have my own locker.


See, it has my name on it!!


In like a dirty shirt



Wearing a "dirty shirt", for a paint smock.



Mme Gee, can I have more paint colours?



Hawrylak School.

No comments: