Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Thank God for Consignment Sales

Twice a year, Sunset United Church (the church we attend) holds its used Children's Clothing sale. This is an amazing sale. Folks bring in their gently used clothing and various toys, bedding, and accessories, to consign for folks like me to buy. This is a popular sale, with people lining up at least an hour ahead of time in order to get the best buys. Now, I was asked to volunteer at the last Spring sale, and the motivating factor for giving time to the sale is that all volunteers who do three hours of work get to be part of the coveted "Pre-Buy". About two hours before the doors open for the public, the mothers who have spent time getting ready and such, flood the floor searching out the things they saw the night before. It's a bit overwhelming. In the Spring I was a pre-buy virgin, which means I was quite as assertive as I needed to be. But I learnt, and this time I got what I wanted. And with a minimal amount of pushing and aggressive behavior! I get David to come along, and on the morning of the pre-buy we create a divide and conquer strategy so that we get what we want. He does toys and shoes, I do clothing.It's a great sale, and I plan to offer my services again! The 25 folks at the pre-buy spent nearly $3800. Can you believe it?

Here's what $135.00 will get ya:


No comments: