Sunday, April 01, 2007

Floor to Ceiling Squash!

On this evening's menu for Madame Sophia was strained strawberries, custard with apples and strained squash. As a dutiful mother I took the amounts I needed out of the baby food jars and placed them into individual microwave safe containers and zapped them for 15 seconds. Sophia does prefer her food warm. When the buzzer went off, I grabbed the three little containers from the microwave and proceeded to move toward the highchair. I really should have known better...

One of the containers escaped. I watched in horror as the squash container fell from my hands and hit the floor with a determined "splat". I took a moment to survey the damage. David came over to see if I needed help in the clean-up. It was then that we both discovered the "Splat radius" of squash. It didn't just get on the floor, but also on the cupboards, the pantry door, the counter top, the cookbook, the toaster over (on the counter), the wall behind the toaster, the upper cupboards, the teapots on the ledge over the cupboards, the wall behind the teapots, and the ceiling. Yes, the squash got the ceiling! There was nothing to do but laugh and then sigh about the clean up process. But because our dinner was on the table and Sophia was sitting in her chair, we left it. Well, we left Haley to clean up what was in licking reach and I would get the rest of it later.

Note to those of you who happen to have reason to clean your plaster speckled ceilings... squash shows up from far away (darn that bright orange) and using a damp cloth to remove said strained staining veggie will not only remove the orange, but also the plaster used to create said speckled ceilings. Oh the things you learn when you have an infant!

No comments: