Thursday, September 28, 2006

Church Geek in Training

Well, Sophia attended her first Presbytery meeting today. For those of you who are not connected to the church: presbytery is a gathering of clergy and lay people from United Churches in a larger region. There are seven presbyteries in all of Saskatchewan. My presbytery met in Wolseley today, so I thought it would be a good chance for all those people to meet Sophia. And heck, I didn't need to stay for the whole thing. Actually, I think I missed all the potentially painful pieces! :) Sophia was adored by all and truly behaved her self quite well. I can't imagine what she thinks of all these people who come in very close and talk very strangely to her. She kind of gives them a quizzical look and then looks to me to make sure that all is okay. Sigh. To be three months old and so darn cute.

On Tuesday Sophia had her first set of shots. Poor little thing had to have two shots, one in each leg. She took it like a trooper, crying a little with the second shot -supposedly it stings a little more but I figure it was the indignity of having to have another poke in the leg. One was fine but two was pushing it. Thirty seconds later Sophie was smiling again. She was in a fairly decent mood until about 4:30 (the shots were at 2:20ish) when her legs started to hurt. One of them was fairly swollen and warm, so I can only imagine what she was feeling. She wouldn't feed and she tried to sleep but every time she or I moved she started to cry. After a dose of Infant Tylenol, a bath, and a couple hours of crying, she settled down. Her only side affect was sleepiness, so she fed, slept, fed and then was down for the night.

While at the clinic for the shots, the health nurse checked out her weight and height. Currently, she weighs a healthy 12 pounds 10 ounces (gained a pound in a month, which is perfect) and is 23 and 1/2 inches. The nurse gave me a bit of a shock. First time measuring Sophia, the nurse told me that she was 23 inches. She shrunk? is that possible? The last doctor's appointment she measured 23 1/4 inches. So we remeasured and got her to 23.5. Whew! All in all, Sophia is just over the 50th percentile in weight and height. So we are happy.

Hopefully tomorrow we will put some updated pictures of the girl. Oh, last time I wrote, I mentioned that Tanya was due at the end of the month. As I write, she is in Vancouver getting ready to deliver her little one. Her contractions have been happening slowly all day. Anyway, keep her in your thoughts.

Will blog again soon! Take care.

No comments: