Tuesday, August 01, 2006

An Irish Blessing



One of the joys of having a new baby is the fact that you get to visit and share her with people you enjoy knowing. While we were in Vancouver, Ciara (a good friend of mine) invited us (David, Sophia and myself) to come to the house and see her parents. Now, Tom and Mary Martin (the aforementioned parents) have known me since my early teens, so I was more than glad to introduce Sophia to them. Visiting Tom and Mary is always tonnes of fun, but that evening we had the wonderful addition of Mary's brothers, Declan and Euguene (I really hope that I got the spelling right, I apologize if I didn't!). Declan and Eugene had traveled over from Ireland to spend three weeks with the Martins. Something you should know about these two incredibly neat men... They are Catholic priests in Dublin. Declan plied us with questions about Sophia --what her name means, how we picked it, what was her weight etc, when do we go about baptizing our babies here in Canada... Things like that. Eventually, the conversation turned to weblogs and strange computer things, which meant that I got a chance to steal Sophia and chat with Tanya (who was also there that evening), Ciara and Mary.

At one point, Mary asked if Declan or Eugene would give a blessing for Sophia. Declan turned to me and asked if that would be okay, after all I am a United Church minister. I told him that I was ecumenically minded and would be thrilled if he would bless her. David made some cheeky comment about her baptism bouncing off when it happens at a later date. But I assured Declan and Eugene that we both would be honored if they would bless her. And so Declan did... a quick and quiet blessing shared between Sophia and himself. It was wonderful.

The way I figure it, one can never be too blessed! I thank Declan for the gift, and when Sophie is old enough I will let her know that she had received an Irish blessing from some very special Priests. Thank you so very much, Declan and Eugene!

No comments: