Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Firefighters and tattle-telling Four Year olds.

The preschool had their annual trip to the local fire hall. Sophia was so excited, and they had been doing a whole bunch of fire education. We were there for an hour, and got tours of the ladder trucks and a regular engine. They went over stop, drop and roll. We we first got there, they sounded the alarm that the firefighters hear in the station, so that we knew when they had to go, if there was an emergency. Thankfully, there wasn't.




Showing how they knew to crawl under the smoke




Ready for action.

Then the two firefighters got talking about smoke detectors in our houses, and if they had ever heard them before. Well, leave it to my wonderful, vivacious, gregarious, and completely extroverted daughter to come out with the following statement: "Sometimes it goes off when my mommy is cooking. She makes the food smoke." Thanks kiddo. As I left the station at the end of the time, one of the men looked at me and asked: "So is Daddy cooking tonight?" Me:" Nope, I am." Fire guy: "Well, we'll see you later." Har de har har. Yikes.

Later on, they were telling the kids that if they are trapped in the house during a fire, and see firefighters they are to yell as loud as they can so they can be found. In comes Sophia with some more tidbits from Gerhard family life: "Sometimes my Mommy and Daddy yell at me and make me cry." Really??? She just said that??? OMG, I was sure that Child and Family Services was going to pay our house a visit. I have got to teach Sophia to keep her mouth shut.

Anyway, she had a great time, and learned lots.







Hey, he sounds like Darth Vader!!!











Yup, that's my kid.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Allison S said...

LOL - if it makes you feel any better, in all my recent counsellor training, and in my Big Sister experiences, they talk about how secrets are bad - the kids that have been taught to keep secrets (the bad kind) are the ones who will freak out (internally or otherwise) in group counselling when you ask the group to keep things confidential. It perpetuates the idea that there are things you shouldn't ever share with anyone... I think if Sophia is that comfortable sharing the details, that's probably a pretty healthy sign!! :-)