Friday, January 12, 2007

A surprise visit

One day I am going to figure out that it is better to blog when you think of it, rather than letting them all pile up. Oh well, at least I am updating this thing. I could ignore it, I suppose. But then I might get people nagging me about not updating it. It's rather a vicious circle.

This last week Sophia and I travelled to Vancouver for a very short visit. In all we were there for three days. The decision to go was made very quickly, as WestJet was having a 50% off seat sale. One can't say no to $99.00 tickets to Vancouver. So arrangements were made with Mom on Sunday, and the next Saturday we arrived late into the city (around 11:00 pm) to surprise my Dad. Yup, he didn't know we were coming. Todd picked us up, and I called as we were heading home. Dad didn't truly believe I was there until he talked to Todd on the cell. It was all quite fun.

We had a good time there, and got a taste of the wicked weather they had the previous week---rain, wind, snow (yes, snow...it even snowed when I left), and cold. The wind was so bad that the Lions Gate bridge was closed due to a fallen tree across the causeway. Sigh, the power of mother nature is awesome.

Sophia and I spent the couple of days we had visiting some folks. We didn't get to see everyone... and I apologize for that. I am not sure when we will be back, but when we are I will stay longer and see more people.


Uncle Todd took the opportunity to stop buy as often as he could. Currently, Todd (who is an apprentice electrician) is working at the Vancouver Airport. Due to this new position, he has to wear an id tag around his neck.



Remember, Sophia's fascination with Todd's watch? Well, the tag is shiny as well, and it too caught her attention. She was determined to get that tag and make it her newest chew toy. Todd being the kind Uncle that he is, went and washed his tag to make sure that Sophia would have a clean piece of shiny plastic to play with. And boy did she like it. Any time he came over with that tag on her little hands immediately made to grab it! She dutifully slimed it and gleefully gummed it. Oh the little things that make her happy!


Sophia got to spend some good time with her grandparents as well. There was much cuddling and playing with Grandpa. This whole sitting up talent is great because more people get to watch and interact with her, and Sophia loves it. She can sit and play, grabbing things and shoving them into her mouth. If she falls over she has the turn over mastered (finally) so she is able to get what she wants and be how she wants. Both grandparent enjoyed having Sophie visit, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hang out without Sophia. A little independence can go a long way to feeling refreshed!


While at home, Sophia got the chance to meet and play with Sheliza. It's been a while since the two of them have been together, and as you can tell from the picture, they have both grown. Sheliza is doing well, growing as babies are want to do. We had a nice afternoon visit with both Sheliza and Mommy Tanya. For me, it was excellent to spend some time Tanya. We just don't get the opportunity very often (as there are two provinces in the way!). I think everyone enjoyed their time together.

Sophia and I also got to visit (and surprise) Libby and Aliya Griffin. That was fun, as Libby thought that Mom was simply coming over to show her some new photos. When she opened the door and saw us she started to laugh. I honestly thought she was going to pee her pants. I also got to spend some time with Jacquie, which was special as her birthday is today! Happy Birthday, pal! Also visited was Jennifer Eastwood. There were many others I would have liked to have seen, but as I already said, time was very short.

I am beginning to think that maybe Todd might be a bad influence on my child. He does a very good job of spoiling her or at least giving in to her. As many of you know, I am not very fond of tomatoes, particularly raw ones. This concerns some members of the family, as they think that I am going to deprive Sophia of the opportunity to eat these (awful) fruit. Well, Todd took it into his own hands. Please let me offer you proof in the following pictures:




Yes, what you see there is my child sucking on a cherry tomato. She gummed it so hard and a nice firm tomato turned to mush inside. And she liked it! At one point the tomato got so slimy that Todd lost grip and it popped into her mouth. Luckily he got it back with no problems. It was hilarious to watch. I do have video, but haven't got it onto YouTube yet.

And as if the tomato wasn't enough for her adventurous side, Sophia decided to branch out in her chewing explorations:


I left Sophia on the floor for a few seconds and I come back to find her literally bent in half, chewing on her new shoes. Now that is an interesting way to break new shoes in. The baby books did say that at six months babies spend time exploring their bodies, toes included. And when I was an infant, I seemed to like to chew on my toes. Guess it is genetic.

By the end of the visit, we were both tuckered. Sophia managed to find the best place to fall asleep:


Grandma is pretty comfortable and Sophia's arm is clutched around her newest friend. It was a good trip. I think we might just have to do it again soon. Thanks again, Grandma and Grandpa. Love you!

No comments: